Now that the new year is upon us, it’s time for me to reflect on some of the proud moments and some of the minor failures of the past year. In no particular order, here are some of the highlights and lowlights of my 2011:
1. I parented a 3-year-old boy for the whole year, and he’s still alive. ‘Nuff said.
2. I made no strides in decreasing the aforementioned boy’s tendency towards screaming tantrums and grumpiness. Fail.
3. I finally achieved my lifelong (or at least adulthood-long) goal of seeing a whale in real life. (Despite the many hours I’ve spent on the Oregon coast, staring out to sea, I actually had to go to Maui to achieve this goal. Yeah, I feel sorry for myself, too.)
4. Had my first fall from my new road bike…Going about 1 mph. My knee still bears the scars.
5. Yippee! I finished my first (and second, third, and fourth) triathlons, and picked up a couple age-division awards in local 5Ks.
6. I introduced the kiddo to running, too.
7. I knitted a lot of crazy things, including handlebar moustaches (the perfect accessory for any cocktail party.)
8. Finally made it to Vegas, baby!!!
9. …with a three-year-old in tow.
10. Major fail: I was unable to eradicate viral gastroenteritis from the planet, and therefore spent much of the past week in bed (or in the bathroom.) New Year’s resolution: eradicate viral gastroenteritis from the planet. Also, if I’m going to fall off my road bike, do it while moving at a speed higher than 1 mph. Humble goals, really…
So that’s it, my year-end wrap-up. All in all, it was a pretty great 2011. A few of my goals for 2012? My first half-marathon, my first Olympic tri, and an open-water swim in Hawaii that doesn’t involve me bolting from the water because I saw a fish bigger than my fingernail. (If you knew about my fear of fish, you would understand that that’s actually a pretty ambitious goal for me.) Can’t wait to get started! Happy New Year, everyone!